ENTREPRENEURSHIP DEVELOPMENTentrepreneurship development
INCOME GENERATION PROGRAM
One of the aims of SMIDS is the holistic and sustainable development of the weaker sections of the society. To materialise this goal all these SHGs are involved in various Income Generation Programme (IGP) which are carried on either collectively or individually. 262 SHGs are involved in various group IGPs such as: sea shell craft, banana fibre craft, bamboo fibre craft, sisal fibre craft, coconut fibre craft; and production of washing powder, masala powder, sanitary napkins, herbal medicines, dry fish, sweets, pickles, tailoring & embroidery. 78 SHGs have received economic assistance and 824 SHGs have received revolving fund from TNCDW Ltd, DRDA and Directorate of Town Panchayat. IGPs have contributed a lot to the economic empowerment of the SHGs.
POST TSUNAMI SUSTAINABLE LIVELIHOOD PROJECT (PTSLP)
PTSLP is one of the latest initiatives of SMIDS to develop viable enterprises and resource management systems, owned and operated by poor families affected by Tsunami. The aim of PTSLP is to build self-reliant coastal communities resilient to shocks and able to manage their livelihoods in a sustainable manner. Through the establishment of four cluster resource centres, this project covers 9 panchayats and 114 habitations in Kanyakumari district. And 10 Cluster Resource Centers in Thirunelveli and Thoothukudi District .PTSLP is facilitated by SMIDS, implemented by TNCDW Ltd. and funded by IFAD (International Fund for Agricultural Development).
The major components of this project are:
· Coastal area resource management
· Rural finance and Risk transfer instrument
· Employment generation and skill training
· Community based sea safety and disaster management.
Stella Maris started its micro Insurance( Lives and Livelihoods) project with the help of Care India
in association with Bajaj Allianz in the month of February 2008. The aim of this project is to help the communities to reclaim their lost assets and hasten the recovery process, to sustain the initiative, to protect the assets provided to them from possible future calamities and to help the poorest of the poor people to access comprehensive financial services in Kanyakumari district. So far 11115 people are insured and a total of 5800 families are covered under this programme.
HYGIENIC DRY FISH PROJECT
Production and Marketing of Hygienic Dry Fish is yet another initiative of SMIDS with the support of CARE India to economically empower women in 10 Coastal Villages of Kanyakumari. The object of this project is to improve the skills of vulnerable women to value addition to their products; to provide support to them to have hygienic condition for Fish Drying; to register the product with a brand name and good packing and to establish good market tie-up for the product. The beneficiaries were given EDP training and training on quality control and marketing. Container for storing fishes were issued to the groups. The project also helped the women to form Common Interest Group (CIG) federation; Establishing linkages with the local markets and Networking with wholesale dealers all around the state.
- Any child (sex, race, religion) will be protected and secured from the vulnerable conditions such as man made and natural disasters, displacements, poverty, mal nutrition, physical ill health, illiteracy etc
- A child will be protected from any kind of abusement in the form of physical, psychological, sexual, emotional and will ensure by providing opportunities to enjoy the rights and freedom
- A child, will not be entertained in any commercial oriented activity that hinders his/her development, will be facilitated for a quality education that improves the quality of the child, will be provided with proper health/care systems,
- A child is being considered as the seeds of future generation and also the younger citizen of the country, will be considered in all the developmental initiatives in the aspects of developing his/her own society
- AFTC will create awareness among the general public about the child rights and its protection
- Any allegations of abuse can be addressed to the board of Trustee of AFTC.
- A child will not be involved in any kind of commercial activity undertaken by SMIDS
- The initiatives adopted by SMIDS for the developmental activities will be child friendly in nature.
- The developmental interventions adopted in SMIDS will be provided with a space for addressing child related issues, child rights and its protection.
- Value System should be educated to children and practised in their day to day life. Avoid all kinds of malpractices.
- Visitors related to project will be allowed to meet the children accompanied by one of the project staff
- Any visitor who is no way connected with the project will not be allow to meet with the project children
- Child focused interventions undertaken by the SMIDS will be closely monitored with an effective monitoring mechanism to facilitate child rights and ensure its protection.
- All the paid and unpaid staff members of SMIDS will be capacitated in implementing their respective activities in a child friendly manner
- If any allegations reported against any staff he/she would be placed under suspension till the end of investigation
- The children at no point will not be left anytime without being supervised
- Any convicted allegations on child abuse/ harassment will be taken seriously and subject to penalisation (Protection of Child rights Act)
- Adhere the Child rights protection policy in the organisation’s daily affairs.
- Any staff who has been reported of child abuse will not work alone with children but always be accompanied with another staff. If the abuse is severe the staff will be suspended from service immediately till the entire cases is investigated.
EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
SMIDS started the educational assistance programme to empower the orphan & destitute children and to help them to become responsible citizens of the country. Through this programme 210 children are helped by SMIDS to pursue their studies. These are children of lepers, Kani Tribals and of the fishermen. The aim of this programme is to promote education especially higher education among the underprivileged youths of the society.
Stella Maris Institute of Development Studies will ensure the environment protection policy by emphasizing the following:
This policy will facilitate for the emergence of less polluted environment
Safe and protected environment will be in exists
Environment friendliness will be reflected in all the developmental activities undertaken by SMIDS
SMIDS will not undertake any activity or action that directly or indirectly degrades or pollutes the environment
SMIDS will design the programs in an environment friendly manner and also capacitate the staff members in implementing the same successfully
SMIDS will raise awareness among the target population and general public on environment protection
SMIDS will actively promotes plantation in the premises
Solar Mission Energy
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT POLICY
Human resources Management of Stella Maris Institute of Development Studies (SMIDS) will attempt to extract the expertise for accomplishing the objectives and in turn will ensure the safety and development of the individuals employed with SMIDS.
An individual employed by SMIDS will abide by the human resource management policy,
However it shall not apply to persons engaged on purely casual basis, consultancy, specific contract work or projects and interns.
- The organization will be functioning with standard recruitment procedures and staff capacity development
- This policy will help to adopt a transparent human resource administration mechanism
- An individual could be protected from any kind of harassment within the working environment
- Possibilities to ensure equal employment opportunities to the deserved employees
- Facilitate the staff to enjoy the privileges and provision available, their grievances will be addressed.
CAPACITY BUILDING TRAINING
One of the aims of SMIDS is to empower women and to make them as a channel of change in the society. It is being achieved by increasing the capacity of women for community leadership, personal autonomy and economic liberty. With this goal all the SHG (Self Helped Groups) members are given various training programmes such as:
· Leadership training
· SHG training
· Panchayat Level Federation(PLF) training
· Entrepreneurship Development training programs (EDPs)
· Vocational training
· Skill development training